- Change to external modem and back to internal
Use Dialer to connect to your ISP. You can change back and forth to external and internal at all times. Internal modem is "/dev/modem1" and external modem is "/dev/ser1". When exiting Dialer you will be asked to save the new dialup.
- Use of 2 modems simultaneously
You can use the internal and external modem at the same time, one to dial out and the other for CallerID. Please note that CallerID when in use, blocks that modem for dial-up.
Configuration items in general
- Edit /kojak/boot.sh Config menu item
Edit the autostart from your apps etc. here and save the file before closing.
- Rescue in the wm pop-up menu
All configuration files are extra saved in this image with the extension .old and by clicking this wm menu item you restore all of them to my orginal settings.
Please note if you save these files at all times after changing them, with the .old extension after you're sure Audrey boots with them, you could be 1 step away from restoring them in case of trouble while booting. If Audrey hangs during boot on the "3COM Proudley Presents" screen you have no choice but reflashing Audrey. However more often you make a mistake and Audrey boots with a partial desktop or none and by pressing Alt(=Paste)-Enter you still can get the wm pop-up menu and do this trick.
- Shelf Cfg menu item
Shelf is setup with 6 program Groups. You can manipulate the openening screen at boot with Shelf Cfg in wm popup menu by having shelf open the way you want it on screen and in Shelf Cfg together and press Apply and Done. Please note Shelf has to stay in auto close for Audrey to work without any problems.
- Desktop Cfg menu item
Currently yellow is set as the active color when the app has the focus and blue as the inactive color
- Set Time Zone menu item
Don't mess with the Keyboard and Language settings, results will be unpredictable.
- Use Network Cfg to setup your nic for a fixed IP and you can setup highly configurable dialups too. When using dhcp on ethernet you're all set from the start, no need to do anything. If you need a fixed IP press Config/Use USB fixed twice and reboot. Next use Config/Network Cfg to setup your fixed IP. Fixed IP users see Known Problems below
- Audrey setup for use with QNX 6.1 binaries
When you want to use these you have to link in needed libs for these apps only. Many small utilities that use ldqnx.so.2 only will work immediately.
- Termcap and terminfo with qansi and qansi-m are included. This means you can install many apps in this image just by adding the executable, in most cases no fiddling or other requirements.
At this time phPostal needs the following to run on Audrey:
- Connect to the internet before running it
- Uncomment "Leave messages on server" and download your messages
- Don't tap on the screen when it's fetching your mail or in general it can do one thing at a time
- To scroll use the pen to move the slider instead of tapping.
- You can move vertical and horizontal bars on screen to resize windows as needed.
If you can live with this it works fine. It's in alpha stage and we can expect new versions in the coming months. I will let you know on the BBS's when and where new versions become available and how to download them with voyager direct in Audrey.
Thanks to ghansah you can play MP3's from a share by starting phjuke as follows: nice -n-5 phjuke and you won't have any problem with MP3 playing from a share. You can download the nice utility here.
The setup for Fixed IP is not very elegant, but it works OK.
The setup for dhcp is exactly the same as in an original Audrey. Also for modem
use the setup is exactly the same as in orginal Audrey. When changing connect
modes always press twice in shelf and Reboot for the changes to take effect.
After setting up your nic Network Cfg is of no use and takes 1.5 mg uncompressed space in your Audrey. I recommend you move or delete these 2 files: /nto/photon/bin/phlip and /nto/photon/lib/libph.so.1 and remove the shelf entry too when setup is done. Audrey will continue to read your net.cfg at boot without these files as well as saved dial-ups.
My USR external modem connects fast with this image, except it did not disconnect and to end a call I had to switch the modem off.
I don't know if this will be the case with more external modems. If you
use it for CallerID it's a non issue. If you have connect problems with the internal
modem, it could be a small price to have Audrey connect now without any problem
to your ISP with the external modem.